TATTOO AFTER CARE
Every artist has his/her own way they like for you to care for your new tattoo.
Please listen to your artist.
Here are some general tips to help you.
* Keep the bandage on for a minimum of 4-6 hours.
* Once you remove the bandage NEVER recover your tattoo!
* Wash your hands and then your tattoo with liquid anti-bacterial
soap and warm water. Gently remove any excess ointment and dried blood with your
fingers - firmly. Do NOT use a washcloth!
* Blot and pat your tattoo dry with a clean soft paper towel. DO NOT WIPE!
* Allow tattoo to air dry for 20-30 minutes before applying ointment.
* Apply a THIN layer of Aquaphor over the entire tattoo.
* Once ointment is applied, pat off excess ointment with a clean dry paper towel.
* Repeat this process twice daily for 3-5 days.
* Once the tattoo peals like a sunburn, you may switch to a fragrance-free lotion
(Lubriderm, Cerave, or Aveeno).
*ALWAYS use clean bedding and bath towels throughout the healing period.
* It is normal for your tattoo to continue bleeding out for a day or two.
* If you stick to your sheets or clothing, wet them with water before
moving so that they do not pull color when you peel off.
* If you suspect excessive bleeding, infection, or an allergic reaction, consult your doctor.
* Keep your tattoo clean and dry until healed.
* Keep pets away from your tattoo until healed.
*If you have any other concerns, contact CDPHE at 303-692-3645
DO NOT EVER EVER EVER
* Re-bandage your tattoo once the initial bandage is removed.
* Pick or scratch at a new tattoo. If you must relieve itching, simply
“slap” the area that itches, repeatedly.
* Expose new tattoo to direct sun or tanning beds.
* Put sunscreen on a healing tattoo.
* Soak or submerge your new tattoo in ANY TYPE of water for 2-3 weeks
* Apply ointments such as Bacitracin, Neosporin, Vaseline, or
any other ointment containing antibiotics.
A tattoo normally takes 7-10 days to heal.
There are no “idiot proof” instructions for the care and healing of a tattoo,
but we think if you read - and FOLLOW - our suggestions below, you’ll have an excellent chance
of making sure that your new tattoo heals perfectly!